Massive Opportunity For Investments In Dubai’s Automobile Sector As Dewa Aims To Transform Dubai Into A Smart City
- August 9, 2015
- Posted by: RKonnect
- Category: Hospitality & Tourism
In a bid to transform Dubai into one of the smartest city in the world, Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) has fast tracked the Green Charger Initiative, as Dubai aims to become a global hub in sustainable practices that can lead towards green economy. Such initiatives will provide massive opportunities for investors to invest Dubai’s fast evolving automobile, construction and electronic component sectors to cater new demand patterns.
DEWA Smart Initiatives
To enhance the quality of life and achieve sustainable development in Dubai, last year DEWA launched three Smart Initiatives as follows:
- Sharms Dubai is a smart initiative for generating electricity by connecting solar energy to buildings and by encouraging building owners to install photovoltaic (PV) solar panels to support the use of renewable energy.
- Smart Applications / Meters is a smart initiative that uses technologically advanced smart meters / grids to efficiently use energy.
- Green Charger is a smart initiative through which DEWA aims to build as many as 100 electric vehicle charging stations this year out of which 16 Green Charger stations are completed whereas work is in progress to install remaining 84 stations.
Kind of Green Charger Stations
DEWA will build three different types of charging stations that will adapt latest international technologies as follows:
- Fast Charging Stations: Installed at petrol stations and on highways, fast charging station will take 20-40 minutes to charge a vehicle.
- Medium Charging Stations: Installed in shopping malls, parks, offices, etc., medium-charging station will take 2-4 hours to charge a vehicle.
- Home Charging Stations: Car users can charging from home premises. Home charging stations will take 6-8 hours to charge a vehicle.
Key Highlights – Green Charger Stations
- Locations – (DEWA’s Head Office, the Sustainable Building, Al Wasl, Al Hudaiba, Burj Nahar, Umm Ramool, Jebel Ali & Silicon Oasis)
- Capacity – Two vehicles at a given time
- Charging Point Rates – 29 fils per kilowatt hour (kW/h) for charging vehicle in public and standard residential electricity rate for users that charge vehicles at home
- Green Charger Card Registration – DEWA’s Customer Service Centres
- Billing – Email using various payment channels that DEWA offers
- Collaboration – DEWA has considered collaborating with BMW, Emaar, Nakheel, Dubai Silicon Oasis and Dubai Design District (D3) to support Green Charger Initiative and determine sites where DEWA can launch electric vehicle charging stations.
Importance of Smart Energy Initiatives
The importance of such Smart Energy Initiatives are vital in ensuring that Dubai / UAE is established as one of the global leaders in exporting and re-exporting green products / technologies, while working hard to create a sustainable environment that can aid economic growth and development as per the Dubai Plan 2021 and UAE Vision 2021.
Investment Opportunities in Automobile / Energy Sectors
The acceleration in Green Charger initiative is timely, as it will aid Dubai based residents to switch to Hybrid Cars amid increase in fuel prices, allowing UAE Government to conserve energy resources and reduce the carbon footprints. However, many consumers and businesses in Dubai / UAE will begin to look for sustainable alternatives and sooner than later, electric and hybrid vehicles will take centre stage in the country. With DEWA’s initiative to fast track Green Charger Initiatives, it provides investors with excellent opportunity to invest in UAE’s automobile and energy sectors capitalize from emerging demand.